What do macadamia nuts, peach pits, and grapes have in common?
All are dangerous to your pets.
The 3rd week of March is recognized as Poison Prevention Awareness Week. And the whole month is nationally recognized as Pet Poison Prevention Awareness Month
So, what does that mean? It means it’s a good time to check your home and make sure it’s pet proof! When it comes to common pet poisons, these are some of the most common items.
- Household cleaners
- Certain plants like lilies
- Glow sticks (If you have any of these around, it’s a good idea to put them away.)
- Mouse and rat poison
- Mouse and rat poisons
- Vitamins and minerals
- Caffeine pills
Here is a list of additional foods the Humane Society recommends your pets stay away from.
If you suspect your pet has ingested any of these items or any other questionable substance, call your veterinarian for assistance. You may wonder how you’d know if your pet ingested something that will make them sick.
Some common pet poison symptoms include:
- Excessive drooling
- Racing heartbeat
- Excessive thirst
As always, if your pet’s behavior changes in any way, watch them. If you suspect your pet’s been poisoned, then please call your veterinarian right away or the Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680.
Use These Guidelines to Pet-proof Your Home
Pets and children are curious creatures. If you’re not used to having them in your home, or if new pets are visiting, then it’s a good idea to take precautions.
Cleaners, Pesticides, and Medicines, Oh My
Keep cleaners, medicines, and pesticides out of reach and in a secure space. If you’re using snail baits, ant traps, or other products designed to harm or kill make sure they’re out of reach of your pets.
When In Doubt, Ask Your Veterinarian
Human grade medications can be dangerous for pets because the strength is too much. Likewise, don’t use cat medications or flea/tick products on dogs and vice versa.
No Chocolate and Other Everyday Items
Think coffee grounds, batteries, potpourri, these things can attract curious creatures and be harmful. Dogs, in particular, explore the world with their mouths so they can ingest potentially harmful items faster than you can say, “drop it!”
Your Yard and Garage Too
Antifreeze is a popular item to have on hand and it attracts dogs and cats. The stuff apparently tastes sweet and it can be deadly so keep it out of reach. It doesn’t take much either, less than a teaspoon can make your dog or cat very sick. Gas and oil should be behind locked doors too.
Rethink fertilizers and insecticides around pets. If you must use them, then you’ll want to keep your pets away from the treated areas until completely dry.
Certain plants like azaleas and Easter lilies and cocoa mulch could be problematic if you have a pet who wants to chew on such things. You know your pet best but if you think it could be a problem, then make the necessary adjustments.
Get the whole family on board with pet poison prevention month (and lifestyle.) It only takes one careless action to lead to a very sick pet but with shared family guidelines, you won’t need to worry.
Are you surprised by any of these common poisons? Let us know below.